125.1 Introduction #
Having a standardized naming convention or format for bollard names is crucial. The Bollard Structured Name provides a consistent and efficient way to describe and differentiate various types of bollards. This article explores the need for a unique naming format and present four formats based on bollard operation.
Defining “Bollard Structured Name”: The Bollard Structured Name is a standardized naming convention or format used to identify and describe a specific bollard. By utilizing this format, bollards can be categorized, organized, and managed more effectively.
125.2 The Need for a Unique Bollard Name Format #
- Ensuring Consistency and Efficient Management: A standardized naming convention for bollards ensures consistency throughout inventory or catalog systems. By categorizing bollards based on their specific features, such as crash rating, mounting type, and purpose, it becomes easier to manage and track inventory efficiently.
- Reducing the Risk of Confusion and Errors: With a structured naming format, the risk of confusion or errors in specifying the intended bollard is significantly reduced. Each element in the name provides valuable information about the bollard, eliminating ambiguity and improving clarity.
- Minimizing Requests for Information (RFIs): The use of a Bollard Structured Name reduces the number of RFIs directed to project designers. By providing comprehensive information about the bollard’s characteristics in the naming format, stakeholders can easily identify the appropriate bollard for their specific needs without seeking additional clarification.
- Moving Beyond Category-Based Names: Traditionally, bollards were named based on a single category, such as “Iron Bollard.” However, this limited approach fails to convey important details about the bollard’s operation and purpose. The Bollard Structured Name introduces a more comprehensive format that captures multiple aspects of the bollard.
- Comprehensive Details in the Bollard Structured Name: The Bollard Structured Name encompasses various aspects of the bollard, including size, color, material, and other relevant details. This holistic approach ensures that stakeholders can gather comprehensive information about the bollard simply by referring to its structured name. By leveraging the naming format, stakeholders can easily deduce essential characteristics such as bollard size, providing them with valuable insights to meet their specific requirements effectively.
125.3 Five Structured Bollard Name Formats #
[Crash Rating] [Mounting Type] [Purpose] Fixed Bollard: This format provides a clear indication of the bollard’s crash rating, mounting type, and primary purpose. For example, “K12 Deep-Mounted Building Security Fixed Bollard” communicates that the bollard has a K12 crash rating, is deep-mounted, and primarily serves building security purposes.
[Crash Rating] [Mounting Type] [Mechanism Type] Access Manual Bollard: This format focuses on the crash rating, mounting type, mechanism type, and the bollard’s purpose as a manual access control solution. An example would be “K4 In-ground Foldable Access Manual Bollard,” indicating a K4 crash rating, in-ground mounting, a foldable mechanism, and manual operation for access control.
[Crash Rating] [Drive Type] [Mechanism Type] Access Automatic Bollard: This format highlights the crash rating, drive type, mechanism type, and the bollard’s purpose as an access control solution. For instance, “K8 Hydraulic Retractable Access Automatic Bollard” indicates that the bollard has a K8 crash rating, operates hydraulically, utilizes a retractable mechanism, and serves as an automatic access control solution.
[IP Rating] [Mounting Type] [Max Watt] LED Light Bollard: This format is specifically designed for LED light bollards, incorporating elements such as IP rating, mounting type, and maximum wattage. For instance, “IP65 Surface-Mounted 20W LED Light Bollard” denotes an IP65-rated bollard that provides surface-mounted installation and features a maximum wattage of 20W for its LED lighting.
[Capacity] [Design Type] Mooring Bollard: This particular format is tailored for mooring bollards and comprises two components, namely the bollard design type (Bollard Shape) and the bollard capacity (Bollard safe working load) in tons. For instance, one can refer to it as a “200 Tee Mooring Bollard” denoting a bollard capacity of 200 tons and a T-shaped design.
125.4 Standardized Element Names #
To maintain standardization and eliminate confusion, each element within the Bollard Structured Name aligns with the categories outlined in “122 Bollard Categories.” For instance, when indicating the mounting type, terms such as “bolted down” or “flange mounted” are replaced with “surface mounted.” This meticulous approach ensures consistency and clarity throughout the naming process, enabling stakeholders to easily interpret and differentiate bollards based on their standardized characteristics.
By adopting the Bollard Structured Name, stakeholders in the bollard industry can streamline communication, improve accuracy in bollard selection, and enhance overall efficiency. The comprehensive format allows for quick identification and comparison of bollards based on their specific features, simplifying the decision-making process for architects, project managers, and other professionals involved in bollard selection.
125.5 More Examples of Structured Bollard Names #
This table below showcases examples of the Bollard Structured Name format applied to different types of bollards. The examples illustrate the inclusion of various categories such as crash rating, mounting type, mechanism type, purpose, IP rating (for LED light bollards), and maximum wattage (for LED light bollards), providing a clear representation of the structured naming approach.
|Structured Name Format||Bollard Name Example|
|[Crash Rating] [Mounting Type] [Purpose]|
|K12 Shallow Mounted Building Security Fixed Bollard|
K8 Deep Mounted Building Security Fixed Bollard
K4 Shallow Mount Safety Fixed Bollard
|[Crash Rating] [Mounting Type] [Mechanism Type]|
Access Manual Bollard
|K4 In-ground Removable Access Manual Bollard|
K4 In-ground Foldable Access Manual Bollard
K4 Deep Mounted Retractable Access Manual Bollard
|[Crash Rating] [Drive Type] [Mechanism Type]|
Access Automatic Bollard
|K8 Hydraulic Retractable Access Automatic Bollard|
K4 Pneumatic Foldable Access Automatic Bollard
K12 Electric Rising Access Automatic Bollard
|[IP Rating] [Mounting Type] [Max Watt] LED|
|IP65 Surface-Mounted 10W LED Light Bollard|
IP65 In-ground Mounted 30W LED Light Bollard
|[Capacity] [Design Type] Mooring Bollard||200 Horn Mooring Bollard|
150 Double Bitt Mooring Bollard
100 Pillar Mooring Bollard
125 Kidney Mooring Bollard
15 Cleat Mooring Bollard